Ready to Roll, Since 1927
Dunnigan is a 112 square mile area in Yolo County. It lays approximately 40 miles north of Sacramento. It has over 1,400 permanent residents and welcomes over 25,000 visitors per year.
The Dunnigan Fire Protection District is a combination fire department, with both paid and volunteer firefighters. We provide “All Hazards Response,” which includes (but is not limited to): fires of all types, emergency medical services, vehicle accidents, public assistance, emergency stand-byes, and hazardous materials response – first responder level.
The department is made up of 35 dedicated men and women firefighters that include a fire chief, assistant fire chief, three fire captains, six engineer/firefighter driver/operators, and over 20 highly trained firefighters. Approximately 25 personnel are trained to the level of Emergency Medical Technician or higher, with some currently enrolled in paramedic school. We also have a fire department chaplain for crisis intervention and stress debriefing. We operate out of one station, Station 12. Out of that station, we provide 24 hour staffing with approximately three firefighters on duty at any given time, 365 days a year.
The next ten to fifteen years was a time of rapid growth for the settlement of Antelope: George Lewis built the first general store, later owned by William Earll; Joe Gray opened a saloon; Z.T. Haines started a drug and notion store which was later inherited by G. W. Gray; another building owned by Mr. Dunnigan was known as the Lodge Hall which he rented to various organizations, The Grange, I.O.O.F., Good Templars, United Workmen and others of that period; James Johns opened a meat market and from his home ranch on Johns School Road in Colusa County, brought fresh meat each day that was cut and prepared the night before; Tom Mitchell and Henry Yarick owned and operated a blacksmith shop on the south side of Main Street just west of First Street; a couple of other saloons and a barber shop were opened and four homes were completed. (Two of these historic homes are still here today and are an asset to Dunnigan.) The Antelope Brick Yard was about two miles north of the settlement on Buckeye Creek, so bricks for foundations and buildings were always available. In the late 1860's a school was located on the George Lewis property now the Fletcher ranch; a new and larger school was constructed near the older one in the 1890's, this one having nine grades. A large grain warehouse was owner and operated by William Earll, later owned by Ward Hunt and now Adams Grain.
In 1876 the Northern Railway later known as the Southern Pacific Railroad, completed its roadbed through the community and the Antelope Stage Depot became the railway station with Burnell Wilkerson being the first depot agent. On November 1, 1876 the community of Antelope became the Town of Dunnigan and the Town Plat was recorded at the Yolo County Seat at 3:00 P.M. in Book V, page 98 of the Yolo County Records.
The first settlers in the Antelope (Dunnigan) area were John Wilson and J. S. Copp who moved here when flood waters from the Sacramento River to the east forced them to leave in 1852. In October of 1853, Anthony Wayne Dunnigan came to the area and settled on 700 acres he named the Dunnigan Ranch, known today as the Decker/Allen place. In the same time period many other early settlers began to arrive in the small settlement. In 1855 Mr. Dunnigan built a hotel known as the Dunnigan House on what would later be Main and Railroad Streets. At the same time Mr. Dunnigan built a large barn that became the Antelope Stage Depot (1855); the stage made daily runs between Knights Landing and Colusa on what was known as "Tule Road." It carried passengers, cargo and the mail. The Dunnigan House (hotel) would accommodate the food and rest need of the passengers. The stage depot/barn was torn down about 1945 to make way for "modern day farming" and the hotel was occupied until it was destroyed by fire in the mid-1950's.
A church was completed in 1894 and was called the Dunnigan Community Church. The land was donated by Mrs. Kate Laugenour, an early resident of Dunnigan, and the contractors were the Gruing Brothers of Knights Landing and the builder was Marsh Peart of College City. The architectural lines are of a transitional style popular at that time in the western United States, it resembled churches built in New England during that period. At some time in the late 1960's, a group of interested persons worked on having the church designated as a historical site either locally or statewide.
The mission of the Dunnigan Fire Protection District is to provide protection of life, property, and the environment from the effects of fires, medical emergencies, and hazards through safe and effective service with compassionate solutions. We always make an effort to engage the community in our mission through progressive community outreach.
The members of the Dunnigan Fire Protection District take pride in our commitment to professional service by maintaining our skills, knowledge and abilities. All members of the Department will conduct themselves in an ethical manner conforming to a moral standard of right versus wrong by treating each other and the people we serve humanely, decently, and honestly.